Epic Kangra town is just 18 km from famous Dharamsala. This was the first seat of Raja Sansar Chand II (1775-1823). One of the ancient capital of high hill state-fort of Nagarkot(3km) stands as a mute witness to the ravages of conquistadores from Mahmood of Ghazni to the Emperor Jehangir, and the destructive earthquake of 1905. The place is now called “Purana Kangra”.
Just 2-km from the bus stand is the temple devoted to the goddess Barjeshwari Devi. Known for its legendary wealth, it trespassed in 1009 AD by Mahmud of Ghazni who departed with King’s ransom in gold, silver, and jewels. An earthquake of 1905 eradicated it. Rebuilt in the present form in 1920, it continues to be a busy place of pilgrimage. Old Jain temple and Gupt Ganga are the other attraction of the town. Jayanti Devi temple is 7 km and the Kangra Mandir railway station 3 km from the main bus stand.
History of Kangra Fort
The Kangra Fort was worked by the Imperial Rajput group of Kangra State (the Katoch administration), which follows its causes to the antiquated Trigarta Kingdom, said in the Mahabharata epic. It is the biggest fortification in the Himalayas and most likely the most seasoned dated stronghold in India.
The fortress of Kangra opposed Akbar’s attack in 1615. Be that as it may, Akbar’s child Jehangir effectively curbed the post in 1620.
 Kangra was at the time controlled by Raja Hari Chand Katoch of Kangra (otherwise called Raja Hari Chand II)
 Mughal Emperor Jahangir with the assistance of Suraj Mal garrisoned with his troops.
The Katoch Kings over and over plundered Mughal controlled districts, debilitating the Mughal control, supporting in the decay of Mughal control, Raja Sansar Chand II prevailing with regards to recouping the old fortification of his precursors, in 1789. Maharaja Sansar Chand battled different fights with Gurkhas on one side and Sikh King Maharaja Ranjit Singh on the other. Sansar Chand used to keep his neighboring Kings imprisoned, and this prompted intrigues against him. Amid a fight between the Sikhs and Katochs, the doors of the stronghold had been kept open for provisions.
The Gurkha armed force entered the opened hardly outfitted entryways in 1806. This constrained an organization together between Maharaja Sansar Chand and Maharaja Ranjit Singh. Given the deficiency of the need inside the post after a long war and unfit to acquire any, the Gurkhas left the Fort. The Fort stayed with the Katochs until 1828 when Ranjit Singh attached it after Sansar Chand’s demise. The post was at last taken by the British after the Sikh war of 1846.
A British army involved the stronghold until the point that it was intensely harmed in a seismic tremor on 4 April 1905.
Format: Access to Kangra Fort through Ranjit Singh Gate
The passage to the stronghold is through a little yard encased between two entryways which were worked amid the Sikh time frame, as shows up from an engraving over the passageway. From here a long and limited section paves the way to the highest point of the post, through the Ahani and Amiri Darwaza (entryway), both ascribed to Nawab Saif Ali Khan, the principal Mughal Governor of Kangra. Around 500 feet from the external door, the section turns round at a sharp edge and goes through the Jehangiri Darwaza.
The Darsani Darwaza, which is currently flanked by destroyed statues of River Goddesses Ganga and the Yamuna offered access to a yard, along with the south side of which stood the holy places Lakshmi-Narayana Sitala and Ambika Devi. In the middle of these hallowed places is a section that paves the way to the royal residence. It is a standout amongst the most excellent strongholds in India.
Area: Archeological Survey of India Board For Tourists
The fortification is ideal by Kangra town. 32.1°N 76.27°E The fortress remains on a precarious shake in Purana Kangra (means Old Kangra) commanding the encompassing valley, constructed deliberately at the “Sangam” intersection (places where two streams meet) of Banganga and Majhi waterways. It is said that Kangra has a place with one who claims the fortress.
Likewise close to old Kangra is the celebrated Jayanti Mata sanctuary on a sloping top. The Temple was worked by the General of the Gorkha Army, Bada Kaji Amar Singh Thapa. Likewise, near passage is a little gallery which shows the historical backdrop of Kangra fortress.
Abutting the Fort is the Maharaja Sansar Chand Katoch Museum keep running by the Royal Family of Kangra. The Museum likewise gives sound advisers for the fortress and the historical center and has a cafeteria.
So you can visit this amazing place and here are the best Kangra tour packages for you.